30.6.11

Our '15 minutes'...

This morning at 6.15 am when I looked in the mirror: 'wow' was not the first thing that came to my mind. I tied up my hair -that nowadays looks more like a smelly dreadlock- and skipped the whole shower-thing all together, since the warm water here starts to flow at 7.30... So I slipped into my joggers, hopped into my 'Decathlon'-hiking boots, ignored the big red swolen bump on my chin, a mosquito was so kind to leave the night before and didn't give it any more thought (ok I did brush my teeth). We were going up a mountain. A big snowy one. Over 4700 meters to be exact. It wouldn't give a shit about what I would look like.

A few hours later. It was like a stampede, a tsunami of shouting Chinese people cornering us. Flashes where blinding me. It started with one girl asking me and BF V if she could take a picture of us. Of us... We were standing on a huge ass mountain with snow and a view to kill, but with her eyes to the ground, giggling and blushing she asked for a picture of us. I think it was our egos that agreed to it.

What happened next was one of the funniest and scariest things I've ever witnessed. We turned into the main attraction. People yelling how beautiful we were, taking pictures, jumping next to us to be in a picture with us, yes, there was even some queuing happening... Every step we took we got a camera shoved down our throats. In one day we gathered ourselfs a fan base of at least 70 people. I think that in two weeks, if you google 'Jade Snow Mountain' you will certainly find at least one picture of us in total oblivion surrounded by overly excited Chinese people.


One guy, who I suspect was stalking us the whole time taking pictures of us without asking, came up to us when we were safely below the timberline again to proudly show us all the pictures on his camera he had taken of us...

If one day you feel like a smelly lump of poo going down the stinky sewer, with nothing but flies and dirty rats giving you the well known eye, please, do yourself a pleasure: book a ticket to China.


 


















So we climbed a mountain, looking like... this.



















This all took place in China.



















And we made us some fans. Witness the birth of 'Valmen', or 'Carlentino', otherwise known as Carmen and Valentino...



















I made some new Asian friends...



























Told you I was going to visit the Yaks and water terraces!




















And almost broke my neck on the slippery rocks just for this picture.



And did some posing with the local flora. 'Borrowed' it... 


No comments:

Post a Comment