6.7.11

The smell of success

"Those f*cking mules where sniffing up my butt the whole damn way up the mountain" is the funniest one-liner I heard while trying not to collaps at 'Half Way-Hostel', sitting on the terrace overlooking the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, numbed by an Ibuprofen pill and my first bottle of beer.

We were half way through what is called the 'Tiger Leaping Gorge' in China. One of the deepest gorges in the world, carved by the mighty Yangtze river. Of course to get a good view of it and really experience the magic of backpacking you first have to climb a mountain top that roughly reaches the 2700 meter mark.

I lost exactly three lives there. Never before in my life I collapsed and cried bitter tears because my body just could not go on anymore at all. Finito. Never before in my life I got up again on my own, all three times (with a concerned and ridiculously sweet V feeding me banana's, walnuts, Snickers and Red Bull) and carried on to make it to the end. With a Chinese man on a mule behind me the whole time, like a vulture waiting for me to give up and paying him to carry me up the mountain. I let the mule snif my sweaty little butt all the way to the top.




















Reached the top! I will spare you the mule-sniffing pictures preceding this little gem.


















It's so gorge-ous up here!


















This one is well deserved!


















Look for something pink. That's me!

























Going down the gorge we came across a ladder or two.


















And reached the bottom as well. Say 'Yangtze'!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment